FAQ / Resources

How will this claim increase the cost of my insurance?

Insurance premiums are based on risk. If an accident is not your fault, as in a collision with an animal or where the other driver is 100% at fault, your premium will not be affected by the claim. If you are at fault your rate may be affected. Your Orr Insurance Broker can give you specific details.

Should I call the police?
All claims where vehicle damage exceeds $1000 or there are injuries must be reported to the police. Also, where the damage was caused by a hit and run driver or was caused by impact with an animal (i.e., deer) should be reported to the police. Please talk to your Orr Insurance Broker for further explanation.

Can I rent a car?
You are entitled to rent a car for “Loss of Use” if this option is included in your policy, or if the other driver is at fault in the accident. Your Orr Insurance Broker can confirm your coverage and limits.

What does “No Fault Insurance” mean?
“No Fault Insurance” provides some compensation for personal injury and death arising out of a motor vehicle accident, with payments made regardless of who caused the loss. However, it does matter who caused the accident; if found to be at fault, a driver may experience an increase in future premiums. Physical damage to your vehicle is also handled by your company – no need to chase the other driver's insurer. These rules avoid lengthy negotiations and reduce delays in settling your claim

What do I do after reporting the claim?
After the claim is reported, the insurance company will assign a Claims Representative who will contact you – usually the same day, but no longer than 24 hours. The complete claim process will be explained and your auto body shop can usually proceed with repairs once the vehicle damage is estimated. If you have any concerns about the process, your Orr Insurance Broker is here to help.



For more detailed information, visit these organizations’ websites:

Insurance Bureau of Canada


Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario


Ontario Ministry of Transportation


Financial Services Commission of Ontario


Province of Ontario, general information about driving, vehicles and roads