Does Auto Insurance Cover Windshield Replacement?
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t give much thought to your car’s windshield until it gets damaged. However, dealing with it can be a big pain in the neck when it does. Damaged windshields not only look bad, but they can also be hazardous if they are not fixed or replaced properly. Here comes windshield insurance into play.
In this blog, Orr Insurance experts take a closer look at what windshield insurance is, how it works, and why you may want to consider getting it for your vehicle. So whether you’re dealing with a chip or crack in your windshield or just want to be prepared for the unexpected, keep reading to learn more about this important coverage.
Auto Insurance & Windshield Replacement
When it comes to auto insurance, one question that often comes up is whether or not it covers windshield replacement. The quick answer is that it depends on your particular policy.
The expense to repair or replace a windshield that has been broken due to something other than normal wear and tear is typically covered by comprehensive auto insurance coverage in Canada. However, if your windshield is old and has been gradually weakening over time, your insurance may not cover the replacement.
It’s wise to carefully confirm the specifics of your policy’s coverage with your insurance provider. Some companies even offer add-on coverage for windshield replacement. If you’re not sure if your policy covers it or not, give your insurance company a call and they’ll be able to give you the details.
It’s also worth noting that if you have a newer car, the manufacturer’s warranty might cover the cost of a windshield replacement. So, make sure to check your warranty before calling your insurance company.
In any case, it’s always better to be safe than sorry and make sure you are aware of what your policy covers. After all, a cracked windshield is not only unattractive but can also be dangerous, as it can obstruct your vision while driving. So, better to get it fixed as soon as possible.
Auto insurance in Canada covers windshield replacement in most cases, but it’s always best to check with your insurance company to make sure you know the details of your policy. If you are in doubt, give us a call at 1.800.876.4163 and we’ll help you figure it out.
Does insurance cover a cracked windshield?
Whether or not your insurance covers a cracked windshield really depends on the specific policy you have. Some policies will cover it and others won’t. But don’t worry; as long as a cracked windshield isn’t the result of regular wear and tear, the majority of comprehensive auto insurance policies will pay for its repair or replacement.
Examples of when your auto insurance does cover your cracked or damaged windshield:
- A rock or other debris strikes and cracks your windshield while you’re driving on the highway.
- A vandal throws a rock or bottle at your car, causing damage to your windshield.
- Your windshield cracking or breaking due to a tree branch falling on it during a storm.
Your windshield should be repaired or replaced at no cost to you if someone else damages it as a result of their acts, according to their liability insurance. Here are a few examples of how this might happen:
- The cost of the damage would be covered by the at-fault driver’s liability insurance if another driver threw a rock or other anything that hit the windshield while you were travelling on the highway and caused it to break or shatter.
- If another driver rear-ends your car, causing your windshield to crack or shatter, their liability insurance would be responsible for paying for the damage.
- If another driver hits your parked car and causes damage to your windshield, their liability insurance would be responsible for paying for the damage.
A claim would need to be filed against the insurance company of other drivers, along with evidence of the destruction and the driver’s fault. It’s crucial to check with your own insurance company, as in some cases, the policy might require you to file a claim with your own insurance company first and then the other driver’s insurance company will be responsible for the difference. It’s always recommended to check with your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company to ensure you understand the coverage and process to follow.
Need to file a claim? Our experienced brokers are here to help. Call us at 1.800.876.4163.
Helpful Hints for Purchasing Canadian Windshield Coverage
If you own a car in Canada, you are aware of the significance of having auto insurance. Insurance for windshield replacement is one form of protection that is frequently disregarded. If your windshield is damaged, this kind of coverage may be able to assist you in covering the expense of replacement or repair. Here are some suggestions to assist you to make the best choice if you’re shopping for windshield insurance.
- Check your existing policy: Before shopping for a separate windshield replacement insurance policy, check to see if it’s already included in your existing car insurance policy. Many comprehensive car insurance policies include this type of coverage, so you may not need to purchase it separately.
- Recognize the coverage: Make sure you are aware of the coverage provided by the insurance plan for the windshield replacement you are thinking about. Some policies may only cover certain types of damage, such as cracks or chips, while others may have limits on the amount of coverage you can receive. Need help understanding your auto insurance policy? Orr insurance brokers are here to explain it to you.
- Compare policies: Don’t just accept the first insurance policy you find. To ensure you’re getting the greatest value, compare quotes from various insurance providers.
- Think about the deductible: The sum of money you’ll need to fork over before your insurance starts to pay is known as a deductible. While some insurance may have cheaper monthly premiums but greater deductibles, others may have the opposite situation.
- Read the fine print: Before you make a final decision, be sure to read the fine print of your policy. This will help you understand any exclusions or limitations of the coverage.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to find the best windshield replacement insurance policy for your needs. Remember that having this kind of coverage might result in long-term cost savings, so it’s important to think about including it in your vehicle insurance.
How will I protect my windshield?
- Keep a safe distance: When following other vehicles, try to keep a safe distance to avoid getting hit by flying debris, such as rocks or gravel.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Try to avoid parking your car in direct sunlight or extremely cold temperatures, as these can cause the windshield to expand and contract, which can lead to cracks or chips.
- Keep your windshield clean: Regularly cleaning your windshield can help keep it in good condition and make it easier to see while driving. Use a windshield cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth for the best results.
- Keep an eye on your wipers: Check to see that they are in excellent shape and replace them if they begin to leave marks on the windshield. Worn wipers can scratch the windshield and cause damage.
- Repair chips and cracks right away: As soon as you find a crack or chip in the windshield, you should take action. Small chips can often be repaired, but larger cracks may require a full windshield replacement.
By heeding these recommendations, you can safeguard your windshield and keep it from needing pricey repairs or replacements. If you do end up with a cracked windshield, remember to contact your insurance company and they’ll help you out with the process. If you are tired of dealing with complicated auto insurance paperwork? Call us, we make it easy.
Orr Insurance: Auto Insurance Experts Canada
Need auto insurance with windshield coverage? We have you covered. As the best auto insurance broker in Canada, Orr Insurance works with multiple insurance companies to find you the best deal. We are industry leaders, and our insurance agents have in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry. In order to obtain the coverage that is best for you, we can assist you in navigating the intricate world of auto insurance.
Unlike dealing directly with an insurance company, we will take the time to get to know you and your specific needs. We will offer you individualized care and customize the coverage to your particular scenario. The general public frequently does not have access to the exclusive discounts and offers that we receive.
Call Orr Insurance Brokers at 1.800.876.4163 for more options, knowledgeable counsel, specialized assistance, and advocacy that will help you save money on your auto insurance.